Aerospace Faculty Profile :
Biography and Research Interests:
Anya R. Jones is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Aerospace Engineering. She received her PhD in experimental aerodynamics from the University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, in 2010, her S.M. in aeronautics and astronautics from MIT in 2006, and her B.S. in aeronautical and mechanical engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 2004. Her research is focused on experimental fluid dynamics including unsteady low Reynolds number aerodynamics, vortex dynamics, and flow control with applications to MAVs, flapping wings, and wind/water turbines..
- B.S. 2004, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY Aeronautical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
- S.M. 2006, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA Aeronautics and Astronautics "Multidisciplinary Optimization of Aircraft Design and Takeoff Operations for Low Noise."
- Ph.D. 2010, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom Aerodynamics Laboratory, Department of Engineering "Low Reynolds Number Aerodynamics of a Waving Wing."
Articles in Journals
- Jones, A. R., Pitt Ford, C. W., and Babinsky, H. "Three Dimensional Effects on Sliding and Waving Wings," to appear in Journal of Aircraft.
- Jones, A. R. and Babinsky, H. "Reynolds Number Effects on Leading Edge Vortex Development on a Waving Wing," to appear in Experiments in Fluids.
- Jones, A. R. and Babinsky, H. "Unsteady Lift Generation on Rotating Wings at Low Reynolds Numbers," Journal of Aircraft., Vol. 47, No. 3, May - June 2010, pp. 1013 - 1021.
- Hileman, J. I., Spakovsky, Z. S., Drela, M, Sergeant, M., and Jones, A. "Airframe Design of 'Silent' Fuel Efficient Aircraft," Journal of Aircraft., Vol. 47, No. 3, May - June 2010, pp. 956 - 969.
- Jones, A. R., Bakhtian, N. M., and Babinsky, H. "Low Reynolds Number Aerodynamics of Leading Edge Flaps," Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 45, No. 1, January - February 2008, pp. 324 - 345.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Pitt Ford, C. W., Jones, A. R., and Babinsky, H., "Low Reynolds Number Study of Wings for Micro-Air Vehicles," in the RAeS Aerodynamics Conference, Applied Aerodynamics: Capabilities and Future Requirements, Bristol, United Kingdom, July 27 - 28, 2010.
- Jones, A. R. and Babinsky, H., "Three-Dimensional Effects on a Waving Wing," AIAA Paper 2010-0551 in the 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Orlando, Florida, Jan. 4-7, 2010.
- Babinsky, H. and Jones, A. R., "Unsteady Lift Generation on Sliding and Rotating Flat Plate Wings," invited AIAA Paper 2009-3689 in the 39th AIAA Fluid Dynamics Conference, San Antonio, Texas, June 22-25, 2009.
- Jones, A. R. and Babinsky, H., "Three-Dimensional Waving Wings at Low Reynolds Numbers," AIAA Paper 2009-0790 in the 47th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Orlando, Florida, Jan. 5-8, 2009.
- Jones, A. R. and Babinsky, H., "Leading Edge Flaps at Low Reynolds Numbers," AIAA Paper 2008-424 in the 46th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nevada, Jan. 7-10, 2008.
- Jones, A. R., Willcox, K. E., and Hileman, J. I., "Distributed Multidisciplinary Optimization of Aircraft Design and Takeoff Operations for Low Noise," AIAA Paper 2007-1856 in the 48th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, Apr. 23-26, 2007.
Honors and Awards:
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship, 2004 - 2009
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship, 2004 - 2007
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)