Paley, Derek A.
Research in nonlinear dynamics and controls, cooperative control of autonomous vehicles, adaptive sampling with mobile networks, and spatial modeling of biological groups
- Analyst, Metron Inc., Reston, VA. Federal Division (July 1997 to October 2000)
- Software Engineer, Bluefin Robotics, Cambridge, MA. (October 2000 to August 2002)
- B.S., Yale University, 1997 (Applied Physics)
- Ph.D., Princeton University, 2007 (Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering)
- "N. J. Kasdin and D. A. Paley. Engineering dynamics: A comprehensive introduction. Princeton University Press, 2011.”
Refereed Journal Articles (Since 2008)
- L. DeVries and D. A. Paley. Wake Sensing and Estimation for Relative-Position Control of Autonomous Aircraft in Formation Flight. AIAA J. Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 2015. http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/1.G001138.
- L. DeVries, F. D. Lagor, H. Lei, X. Tan, and D. A. Paley. Distributed Flow Estimation and Closed-Loop Control of an Underwater Vehicle with a Multi-Modal Artificial Lateral Line. Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 10(2):1–15, 2015. Special issue on “Hybrid and multi-modal locomotion”.
- T. Seversonand, D.A.Paley. Distributed Multi-Target Search and Track Assignment with Consensus-Based Coordination. IEEE Sensors J., 15(2):864–875, 2014.
- T. Severson and D. A. Paley. Optimal Sensor Coordination for Multi-Target Search and Track Assignment. IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, 50(3):2313–2320, 2014.
- D. Shishika, N. C. Manoukis, S. Butail, and D. A. Paley. Male motion coordination in anopheline mating swarms. Scientific Reports, 4(6318):1–7, 2014.
- A. Chicoli, S. Butail, J. Lun, J. Bak-Coleman, S. Coombs, and D. A. Paley. The effects of flow on schooling Devario aequipinnatus: school structure, startle response and information transmission. J. Fish Biology, 84(5):1401–1421, 2014.
- N. C. Manoukis, S. Butail, M. Diallo, J. M. Ribeiro, and D. A. Paley. Stereoscopic video analysis of Anopheles gambiae behavior in the field: Challenges and opportunities. Acta Tropica, 132(1):1–6, 2014.
- N. Sydney and D. A. Paley. Multivehicle Coverage Control for Nonstationary Spatiotemporal Fields. Automatica, 50(5):1381–1390, 2014.
- F. D. Lagor, L. DeVries, K. Waychoff, and D. A. Paley. Bio-inspired flow sensing and control: Autonomous rheotaxis using distributed pressure measurements. J. Unmanned System Technologies, 1(3):78–88, 2013.
- J. Bak-Coleman, A. Court, D. A. Paley, and S. Coombs. The spatiotemporal dynamics of rheotactic behavior depends on flow speed and available sensory information. J. Exp. Biology, 216:4011–4024, 2013.
- S. Butail, N. Manoukis, M. Diallo, J. M. Ribeiro, and D. A. Paley. The dance of male Anopheles gambiae in wild mating swarms. J. Medical Entomology, 50(3):552–559, 2013.
- C. Peterson and D. A. Paley. Distributed estimation for motion coordination in an unknown spatially varying flowfield. AIAA J. Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 36(3):894–898, 2013.
- S. Napora and D. A. Paley. Observer-based feedback control for stabilization of collective motion. IEEE Trans. Control Systems Technology, 21(5):1846–1857, 2013.
- S. Sherman, D. A. Paley, and N. M. Wereley. Parallel simulation of transient magnetorheological direct shear flows using millions of particles. IEEE Trans. Magnetics, 48(11):3517–3520, 2012.
- L. DeVries, S. J. Majumdar, and D. A. Paley. Observability-based optimization of coordinated sampling trajectories for recursive estimation of a strong, spatially varying flowfield. J. Intelligent and Robotic Systems, 67(3-4):527–544, 2012.
- S. Butail, N. Manoukis, M. Diallo, J. M. Ribeiro, T. Lehmann, and D. A. Paley. Reconstructing the flight kinematics of swarming and mating in wild mosquitoes. J. Royal Society Interface, 9(75):2624–2638, 2012.
- L. DeVries and D. A. Paley. Multivehicle control in a strong flowfield with application to hurricane sampling. AIAA J. Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 35(3):794–806, 2012.
- S. Butail and D. A. Paley. Three-dimensional reconstruction of the fast-start swimming kinematics of densely schooling fish. J. Royal Society Interface, 9(66):77–88, 2012.
- R. Mellish, S. Napora, and D. A. Paley. Backstepping control design for motion coordination of self-propelled vehicles in a flowfield. Int. J. Robust and Nonlinear Control, 21(12):1452–1466, 2011.
- C. Peterson and D. A. Paley. Multivehicle coordination in an estimated time-varying flowfield. AIAA J. Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 34(1):177–191, 2011.
- S. Hernandez and D. A. Paley. Three-dimensional motion coordination in a spatiotemporal flowfield. IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, 55(12):2805–2810, 2010.
- L. Techy, D. A. Paley, and C. A. Woolsey. Unmanned aerial vehicle coordination on closed convex paths in wind. AIAA J. Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 33(6):1946–1951, 2010.
- N. E. Leonard, D. A. Paley, R. E. Davis, D. M. Fratantoni, F. Lekien, and F. Zhang. Coordinated control of an underwater glider fleet: An adaptive ocean sampling field experiment in Monterey Bay. J. Field Robotics, 27(6):718–740, 2010.
- D. A. Paley. Stabilization of Collective Motion on a Sphere. Automatica, 45(1):212–216, 2009.
- D. A. Paley, F. Zhang, and N. E. Leonard. Cooperative control for ocean sampling: The Glider Coordinated Control System. IEEE Trans. Control Systems Technology, 16(4):735–744, 2008.
- R. Sepulchre, D. A. Paley, and N. E. Leonard. Stabilization of planar collective motion with limited communication. IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, 53(3):706–719, 2008.
- D. A. Paley, N. E. Leonard, and R. Sepulchre. Stabilization of symmetric formations to motion around convex loops. Systems and Control Letters, 57(3):209–215, 2008.
Honors and Awards
- Received NSF Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program Award, 2010
- Elected AIAA Associate Fellow (highest grade below fellow), 2010
- Elected IEEE Senior Member (highest grade below fellow), 2011
- Selected as Fellow in the 2013-2014 Office of Naval Research Sabbatical Leave Program
- Received Willis H. Young Jr. Faculty Fellowship, Department of Aerospace Engineering, 2013-2016
- Received the 2012 Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)
- E. Robert Kent Teaching Award for Junior Faculty, Clark School of Engineering, University of Maryland, 2014
- Engineer of the Year, AIAA National Capital Section, 2015
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA Associate Fellow)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE Senior Member)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM Member)
- Member, AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Technical Committee, 2008-2013
- Member, IEEE Control Systems Society, Aerospace Controls Technical Committee, 2013-present
- Associate Editor, AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics
- Associate Editor, American Control Conference, 2013 & 2014
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems
- Guest Editor, Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, Special Issue on Bioinspired Soft Robotics (to appear)