- fire modeling, including Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and zone modeling
- direct numerical simulation (DNS) and large eddy simulation (LES) of turbulent reacting flows
- high-performance (parallel) scientific computing
- application of data assimilation to fire and combustion
- physical modeling of fire-related phenomena: buoyancy-generated turbulence; turbulent combustion; soot formation and oxidation; combustion-generated toxic products; radiation heat transfer; wall surface heat transfer; water-based fire suppression systems; pyrolysis, material flammability and flame spread; flash fires, fireballs, and explosions; wildfires propagation
- Professor (2014-present), University of Maryland at College Park, MD
- Associate Professor (2001-2014), University of Maryland at College Park, MD
- Guest Researcher (part time) (2005-07), Building and Fire Research Laboratory, National Institute of Standards and Technology, MD
- Research Scientist (1999-2001), The George Washington University, DC
- Senior Research Engineer (1993-1999), French Petroleum Institute, France
- Post-doctoral Researcher (1990-1993), Center for Turbulence Research, Stanford University, CA.
- Engineering Degree and M.S. (1985), Ecole Centrale of Paris, France
- Ph.D. (1989), Ecole Centrale of Paris, France
- Rochoux, M.C., Delmotte, B., Cuenot, B., Ricci, S. and Trouvé, A. (2011) “Regional-scale simulations of wildland fire spread informed by real-time flame front observations”, Proc. Combust. Inst., 34, submitted for publication.
- Ren, N., Wang, Y. and Trouvé, A. (2011) “Large eddy simulation of vertical turbulent wall fires”, Proc. Combust. Inst., 34, submitted for publication.
- Lecoustre, V., Narayanan, P., Baum, H. R. and Trouvé, A. (2011) “Local extinction of diffusion flames in fires”, Fire Safety Science – Proc. Tenth International Symposium, International Association for Fire Safety Science, 583-595.
- Narayanan, P., Baum, H. R. and Trouvé, A. (2011) “Effect of soot addition on extinction limits of luminous laminar counterflow diffusion flames”, Proc. Combust. Inst., 33:2539-2546.
- Arias, P.G., Im, H. G., Narayanan, P. and Trouvé, A. (2011) “Extinction of nonpremixed ethylene-air flames by water spray”, Proc. Combust. Inst., 33:2591-2597.
- Trouvé, A. and Wang, Y. (2010) “Large eddy simulation of compartment fires”, Intl. J. Computational Fluid Dynamics, 24:449-466.
- US Section of the Combustion Institute
- Society of Fire Protection Engineers
- International Association for Fire Safety Science
- American Physical Society
- Engineers Without Borders
- Member of the Editorial Board of Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 2011-13
- Member of the Editorial Board of Combustion and Flame, 2009-14
- Member of the Editorial Board of Combustion Theory and Modelling, 2008-11
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Proceedings of the International Symposium on Combustion, 2008-11
- Member of the Editorial Board of Fire Technology, 2008-present
- Technical reviewer for: Combustion and Flame, Combustion Science and Technology, Combustion Theory and Modeling, Fire Safety Journal, Journal of Computational Physics, Journal of Turbulence, Journal of Propulsion and Power, Journal of Fire Sciences, Physics of Fluids; American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Combustion Institute, International Association for Fire Safety Science, National Science Foundation, Department of Energy, Department of Defense.
- At-large Member (2005-07), Arrangements Chair (2007-11) and Program Chair (2011-13) of the Executive Board of the US Eastern States Section of the Combustion Institute.
- Chair of the Executive Committee of the US Sections of the Combustion Institute (2011-13).
- Program co-Chair of the 11th Symposium of the International Association for Fire Safety Science (IAFSS), University of Canterbury, New Zealand, 2014.
- Member of the Committee and of the Executive Committee of the International Association for Fire Safety Science (IAFSS) (2009-14).
- Host Committee Chair of the 10th Symposium of the International Association for Fire Safety Science (IAFSS), University of Maryland, June 2011. (see www.fpe.umd.edu/iafss-june11/)
- Co-Chair and Coordinator of the Fire Research Colloquium at the 33rd International Symposium on Combustion, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, August 2010.
- Member of Committee on “Building Cyberinfrastructure for Combustion Research”, study organized by the National Academies’ Board on Mathematical Sciences and Their Applications, Board on Chemical Sciences and Technology, and Computer Science and Telecommunications Board, funded by AFOSR, NIST, DOE, NASA and ARO (2009-10).
- Arrangement Chair of the Fall Technical Meeting of the US Eastern States Section of the Combustion Institute, University of Maryland, October 2009.
- Co-Chair of the “Fire Research” Colloquium at the 32nd International Symposium on Combustion, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, August 2008.
- Organizer and Chair of a 2-day Workshop entitled “A NSF Workshop on Cyber-based Combustion Science”, sponsored by NSF Thermal Systems Program, Division of Chemical and Transport Systems, Directorate for Engineering, May 2006. (see www.nsf-combustion.umd.edu/)